Saturday, August 11, 2007

Bring on summer

We're well past the shortest day now - its getting heaps lighter in the mornings - so almost time to dust off the windsurf gear for a big season.

I am looking to extend my time on the water and think that the new breed of light to moderate wind slalom boards and rigs might be just the ticket.

The new RS Slalom (MK II) is due out in November so I will probably hang out for that in a 7.2. I am undecided on a light to moderate wind slalom board, probably a 105 litre will be the ticket now I weight a bit more and this would complement the 7.2 really well in 8-18 knots, well maybe 10-18knots as I'm not sure how early they plane. I'll change down straight to my RS 6 6.2 on my 78 litre, by which stage I would be fully powered and in control until its gusting 30 knots. Over 30knots in choppy seas is actually really challenging in Wellington harbour, despite what people say, they actually are probably not going any faster than they do in around 20-24 knots, unless the water is really smooth and steady which we sometimes get at Eastbourne, in which case I'd probably stay on the 6.2 anyway and try and dial up 32-34 knots.

The 5.4 RS4 works really well on the speed strip so I'll be staying with that as well. It will be interesting on that gear this season, being slightly heavier I hopefully will move closer to the golden 40 knots, more realistically probably 37-38.

Anyway - I can't wait!

No comments: