Monday, May 21, 2007

Office replacement is getting closer

I just checked out Virtual Ubiquity's site, which has had a makeover. Looks like they are getting close to launch Buzzword. Have just applied to be a beta tester, hope they let me in.

Here are some screenshots.

Just found a 9 minute screencast, they have done an awesome job, so much functionality that we just haven't had in web based word processors to date. They've added some great small touches as well. This will definately be up there for app of the year. It will be interesting to see what their business model is. They could go down the free route and wait till one of the heavy weights buys them out, or it may just be good enough to go solo and charge a price if you have say more than 5 docs. I'd be willing to pay an annual fee for this for sure.

Update - I've been accepted to be a beta tester. So to try this out I've just popped into Wellington Library for an hour before I catch a bus home. Went to cafenet.co.nz and purchased a 70mb token and logged into Buzzword. This is great, sitting here in the library, lots of light, big space and silence. So I've just started to create a product specification document. I am pretty blown away at the functionality (of Buzzword that is), its great. It looks like borders aren't in this version but I've managed to write the start of a spec, import in a wireframe protoype PNG exported from Fireworks CS3. The doc looks great and its all stored in the cloud. I'm in a good mood - so thumbs up to Virtual Ubiquity. This now leads to me say that I am now a happy mobile worker, the dream of online office apps is here. This is quite exciting, they've taken the bar to the next level.

No comments: