Saturday, June 09, 2007

Kiwis cranking in Cyprus

I have been keeping a keen eye on the relatively new RS-X Windsurfing class (the new Olympic fleet). Barbara Kendall is leading the womens fleet after the first day. Jon Paul Tobin is doing ok as well. Good to see the kiwis up there with the best in the new fleet.

I am dead keen to have a go on a RS-X board, although with my 3 season old hollow NT98 and RS4 10.6 it's like comparing a BMW to a Toyota in comparison(or so I think). I think the RS-X would be quite a nice board to sail, with a high comfort factor, although a bit weighty and no where as stiff as the NT. I suspect in the light airs it trucks upwind. I remember the day I learnt to rail my Diamond 67, all of a sudden pointing 20 degrees higher in the lighter breezes. Same designer for the RS-X as well I believe - Jean Bouldaires (spelt right?) - he did the old AHD Diamonds.

There has a been a trend for light wind slalom to become popular again so I can't wait to have a go on a modern 130 litre board with an 2008 8.0 or 8.5 V8 when they come out. Nothing like trucking upwind to the airport and down Evans Bay and around to Oriental Bay in a steady 15 knot Southerly. If this gear goes upwind ok then I'll be able to launch off our boat ramp in a southerly which is a big bonus. Only 3 more months of Winter!

No comments: